Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
A few snippets to what makes me me... I am a senior at the University of South Alabama. I married the man of my dreams on May 14, 2011. I plan on being a teacher and a learner in all aspects of the world.

WELCOME!

Hey guys! You have come across my blog! This blog is for my EDM 310 class with Dr. John Strange at the University of South Alabama. I use it to post my assignments which include comments on various videos, podcasts, and other blogs from around the world! Enjoy!

Sunday, March 28, 2010

March 28, 2010

This weeks assignment was to watch Dan Brown's video An Open Letter To Education and read Morgan Bayda's blog post on the video. So, now let's break it down. I see that the world is changing and is dragging education along. It truly is sad to see people within the institution of education change their lives on the outside of the classroom but not inside the classroom. Personally, I enjoy listening to lectures, but I also like to participate in discussions but the way I like to learn is not the way others like to learn. I would never push what I like on others because my opinion is my opinion. As a future educator, I plan to use technology to its fullest in the classroom, promote creativity, and allow my students to think  outside of the books.

My college education has consisted of different types of classroom settings. Lecture classes that I have taken much from and incorporated the information into my present career as a tutor and my future career as an educator. I have also taken an open discussion course where the floor was open to everyone's opinion and it brought new aspects to the atmosphere. I have been in a do it yourself classes, where it is left completely up to the student to either figure it out or don't and when questions were asked rarely were they answered. Then there is the hybrid courses where the information is given, but how to you use the information is left up to the student, however, any questions, concerns, or confusions have been cleared as immediate as possible. So, what have I learned from all of these courses; a) the assigned textbook really is not necessary to "get the grade," and b) there are professors that care about learning, and those that just want the paycheck.

See full size image
Learning is the most important thing in my life. If I couldn't learn from what I experience what's the use of having a brain. I want to incorporate anything and everything that can ensure the best for my future students. If that means having books, labs, technology, power points, podcasts, videos, or whatever I will try to my full extent to make sure our future has what they need to be the best they can be, to do the best they can do, dream of change, and become the change. Since the internet has made most everything we need to learn "free" it will just take the time to find the best approach and use it.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with you when you say "I would never push what I like on others because my opinion is my opinion." I feel the same way! We are all different and see things in a different way and there is nothing wrong with that. It doesn't not make someone better than the other person, and no one is every truly right or wrong!

    "a) the assigned textbook really is not necessary to "get the grade," and b) there are professors that care about learning, and those that just want the paycheck." EXACTLY!!! Half the time the textbook isn't even referred to while in the classroom.

    I really enjoyed reading your post you made some good and valid points!

    ReplyDelete