Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
A few snippets to what makes me me... I am a senior at the University of South Alabama. I married the man of my dreams on May 14, 2011. I plan on being a teacher and a learner in all aspects of the world.

WELCOME!

Hey guys! You have come across my blog! This blog is for my EDM 310 class with Dr. John Strange at the University of South Alabama. I use it to post my assignments which include comments on various videos, podcasts, and other blogs from around the world! Enjoy!

Sunday, March 7, 2010

February 28, 2010

Richard Miller: This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2
After watching these videos, I'm stuck in awe. Like wow, everything I know will only be a memory if things keep changing as quickly as they are. Dreams are beginning to be blueprints of the future instead of aspirations that we might achieve. It's kind of scary but at the same time exciting and inspiring. I will be teaching the future and as of right now I have no idea what I can even expect to teach.

Almost everything is at our fingertips thanks to the internet. Books, lectures, movies, music, research, and the list goes on an on. I love to read and I've had my share in writing, but I'm not sure how I feel about making everything available to the public by a few clicks. I like paper. It's much easier on my eyes, but the keyboard is nicer on my hands. I'm on the fence I guess, but I will definitely give my students the opportunity to make their own decisions on the subject.


The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler 
Connectivism makes sense in theory but in practice, personally, I don't get much out of it. I'm taking an online class on USA Online right now that is using this approach to learning, and I can't tell you one thing I have learned this semester from doing my own research on the subject. I just do what I have to do to get the work done. Which I guess is partly my fault for taking an online class. I like to sit in on lectures, I seem to retian more information that way. I guess that's where iTunes U comes in handy.

Yes, through iTunes U many credible lectures are available through this tool, but I'm still stuck on the classroom setting. I'm in the zone when I'm in the classroom, rather than lounging around at home where I have a billion other things to do rather than my school work, but again that's my fault.

I understand the thought behind a connectivist approach to learning, and it can ork for many people. I also se that this is where the classrooms are going, and I will be prepared to teach with this method. However personally I would like to sit behind a desk, listen to a teacher, and take notes on the subject.




Michael Wesch
He says, that today's classroom is disengaged. I totally agree! I also loved the pictures he showed of a classroom and then American Idol Auditions. Today's generation you do see the "meh" mentality in so many people.
 One thing Wesch said that I was like wow, that sums it up is, " the reason why they're (today's young people) are so miserable is because they think that theyre the next American Idol and then when they're not, they're shocked."

Another interesting thing Wesch and his undergraduates researched is "I'm not talking to you ( a person); I'm talking to this ( a camera)." With a camera you can try over and over again to get the version of you that you want to present instead of  an actual person to person conversation. Talking to a computer, recording myself is still very new, different, and just awkward to me. Hopefully, I can get used to talking to "myself," eventually...

1 comment:

  1. "I just do what I have to do to get the work done." How unfortunate!

    "... personally I would like to sit behind a desk, listen to a teacher, and take notes on the subject." And then burp it back and forget it? Your previous education is ruining you. The successful professionals in the future will be self-directed learners, accessing information from the sky as needed. It is time to turn yourself around, decide you want to be a learner and move forward.

    One EDM310 student told me recently "Dr. Strange, I just want to to teach me so I don't have to learn." Are you in that camp? I hope not!

    "I'm in the zone when I'm in the classroom, rather than lounging around at home where I have a billion other things to do rather than my school work, ... " Here's the solution. Get a daily organizer. Mark off 9 hours per week for EDM310. Then come to work, with your brain on. And if you have to, readjust your EDM310 work schedule. But stick to it.

    By the way, you are a week behind in your posts.

    ReplyDelete